CKC Seeks New Director!
CKC seeks a motivated individual to serve on the Board of Directors through April 2024. All Directors are volunteers, and should expect to fulfill operational roles.
The ideal candidate has experience developing and managing digital collections, or working with cultural or educational organizations to create digital exhibitions, public programs, and related resources. We welcome all other skills and experiences that will help CKC achieve its mission to preserve and elevate the crafts of knitting and crochet through open access digital collections.
CKC Members are encouraged to apply to serve on CKC’s Board of Directors whenever such openings occur. CKC welcomes diversity in the perspectives, skills, and experiences of its leaders in order to better serve makers, guilds, community groups, scholars, collectors, cultural organizations, and the public. We hope to hear from you!
To apply, please submit a letter/email of interest, with a resume or summary of pertinent experience by November 15, 2022.
To learn more about time commitments and expectations for Board service or the application process, please contact CKC’s Nominating Committee Chair, Marilyn Huset, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Not interested? Please share this call for applications with a friend!
‘Tis the Season!
Fall leaves and cooler weather inspire us with thoughts of handmade gifts and handmade holiday decorations. This year, won’t you share your knitted or crocheted holiday traditions with CKC? We welcome all holiday traditions.
Email us with your holiday projects and stories at email@example.com. Follow us and share your holiday handmades with us on CKC’s social media! Join our Ravelry group and make-along with us! Every year, we hope you will be inspired to preserve more of your handmade seasonal and holiday items and stories in CKC’s digital collection! Thank you.
“Don’t Miss” Virtual and In-Person Events:
Fiber festivals, educational events, and exhibitions provide opportunities to gather, learn new skills, and be inspired by old traditions, new ideas, and each other. As virtual programs continue, and in-person events slowly return, we’d like to keep CKC Members informed about activities of interest. Vogue Knitting has long been a creator of such gatherings, and here are two of their upcoming venues:
Vogue Knitting’s next Virtual Knitting Live is happening November 10-13, 2022. For more information and to register for available classes — now and up to the day of the event — click here to visit the website. This is a paid event.
Vogue Knitting’s annual Knitting Live event returns to New York City on February 9-12, 2023, with in-person classes and a marketplace. Early Bird Pricing was extended to November 10, 2022, and CKC recently received these discount codes to share with Members:
20% off VIP Packages: GUILD20
15% off all other Packages: GUILD15
10% off Individual Classes: GUILD10
Half off Marketplace Tickets: GUILDMP
For more information, and to register, please visit the website for this paid event.
Please let us know of any events in your area. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Just a few reminders!
- Don’t forget to volunteer! We need you! As a CKC Member, you can volunteer on various committees. Not sure what you want to do but would like to help out? Contact email@example.com for more information and to learn about opportunities.
- Need a gift idea for a birthday or upcoming holiday? A CKC Membership is a great gift! To purchase a membership for a friend or loved one, click here.
- Is your membership just about up? Don’t forget to renew!
- Do you have some news you would like to share with other CKC Members? We will be spotlighting members and sharing member news so we can all get to know each other. If you are interested in being featured, or have some news to share, let us know.
Please join CKC’s Ravelry group to meet other CKC Members! We have threads open for sharing your back-to-school, seasonal, and holiday projects! Join a ScrapTastic Make-Along, and stay tuned for opportunities to test two new and exclusive CKC patterns!
Knitting & Crochet in the News:
By Anne Lies
Thanksgiving is coming. Time for a feast!
Honoring our veterans this November:
- Knit, Purl, Heal: “Scientific research now validates what die-hard knitters have long known in their hearts.”
- For those who have given so much, creativity can give back. Creative Forces: NEA Military Healing Arts Network.
Knitting—it’s not just for the home front:
- Madame Defarge might have been fictional, but these folks were real: The Wartime Spies Who Used Knitting as an Espionage Tool.
Art and tech:
- Play with your wool! Andrea Love on the joy of stop motion, her favourite characters and why perseverance pays off.
- Find her on Instagram: @andreaanimates
- Meet Alexandria Masse: A Canadian crochetier whose ‘wearable art’ is going viral. Sometimes your outfit just NEEDS some jackalope headgear,
- Researchers Improve Twistron, an Energy-Harvesting Yarn. With a (literal) flick of the wrist…
Remembering Queen Elizabeth II:
- And her Royal Impact on Knit and Crochet.
For your consideration (or for the next time your cousin tells you, “You should sell your work!”):
- The Modern Trap of Turning Hobbies Into Hustles.
- Debunking stereotypes: Bride knit her own wedding dress for $290 and documented the 200-hour process on YouTube.
A different view of deer hunting season:
Out in the world:
- Crocheting with the sharks?
- Thanks to Hurricane Ian, it was a whole thing…
- Old school: Glasgow University launches book of knitting patterns based on its architecture.
Your Voice Matters!
We encourage all CKC Members to contribute to CKC’s monthly newsletter. Please email your inquiries, ideas, and stories to firstname.lastname@example.org. We hope to hear from you!
Please visit CKC’s Newsletter Archive!
October Newsletter Contributors:
Marilyn Huset, Anne Lies, Heather McDonald, Jennifer Lindsay, Marina Scott