In the Loop, April 2022
ANNOUNCING “Mystery May”
CKC is bringing back Mystery May!
“Established in 2009 by Booklist, which is part of the American Library Association, Mystery Month highlights all things mysterious,” according to CelebratePictureBooks.com.
During the month of May, CKC takes this remit seriously, with mystery stitches, mysteries for you to solve, and more, all knitting- or crochet-related.
Last year’s Mystery May Magazine fundraiser was so successful, we’re bringing that back, too. Support CKC by ordering your vintage mystery magazine here.
Sample the fun fashions from vintage magazines you can purchase:
Inspiration from the Garden in CKC’s Crowdsourced Collection!
It’s almost time for gardening, a passion that many crafters share. Relish the arrival of warmer weather and longer days with Jennifer Olivarez’s lush garden paradise — one of several absolutely charming, elaborately crocheted outdoor scenes she created for her book entitled The Big Acorn Race, a 72-page story with crochet patterns published in 2016. You can see more of her adorable settings and characters by visiting CKC’s Crowdsourced Collection.
Don’t forget! Mother’s Day is right around the corner! A CKC Membership is a great gift! Click here to purchase a membership for your mom (or grandmother or friend)!
Just a few reminders!
- Don’t forget to volunteer! We need you! As a CKC Member you can volunteer on various projects and committees. Not sure what you want to do but would like to help out? Contact Marina Scott for more information and to learn about opportunities.
- Is your membership just about up? Don’t forget to renew! Click here. Important reminder — if you are not a current CKC Member, you will no longer receive CKC’s Newsletter. Don’t miss out! Please renew your CKC Membership today!
- We want to feature you! Interested in being featured in one of our upcoming newsletters? We will be spotlighting members so we can all get to know each other. If you are interested in being featured, click this link to fill out the form!
Marina Scott, CKC Membership Chair
Knitting & Crochet in the News:
Timely trends and current events:
- The newest Supreme Court Justice has a “basement full of yarn”! Ketanji Brown Jackson on fiber arts, crochet, and knitting.
- Crochet Has Officially Shed Its Coachella Associations. Bad boho is out, authenticity is in. Even Lion Brand seems to agree!
- Inflation explained… in knitting? You know there’s a story behind that…
Perspectives in fiber:
- Folk art or fine art?
- Naturally tactile: fiber arts to be seen AND felt. And a touching tribute to blind brother.
Sustenance comes in many forms:
- Like a food truck, but for yarn: It’s the Yarnover Truck!
- And speaking of eating: Sustainable leather, yarn and paper — from bread-eating fungi.
- Mirjam textiles: creative applications for crochet.
- Ellen Lesperance Merges Knitting With Paint to Extend Activist Archives. Taking knitting in unexpected directions.
And finally, it’s time to get the band together:
- Heavy Metal Knitting World Championship will be LIVE in 2022! Start planning – Watch the official trailer!
Your Voice Matters!
We encourage all CKC Members to contribute to CKC’s monthly newsletter. Please email your inquiries, ideas, and stories to email@example.com. We hope to hear from you!
Look for our Newsletter Archive, coming soon!
MONTH Newsletter Contributors:
Anne Lies, Jennifer Lindsay, Marina Scott, Kay Simmons, Suzann Thompson