Amigurumi Squirrels and Crocheted Woodland Set. Created by Jennifer Oliverez, 2016, for her crochet story and pattern book, The Great Acorn Race. CKC Crowdsourced Collection #2019.031.
Support CKC’s Annual Membership Campaign!
Nurture CKC’s growing ecosystem of digital resources for preserving and sharing knitting and crochet history . . .
July is Membership Month! We appreciate the support of Members and Donors more than we can express — we can’t do the work of creating a premier digital museum and preservation resource for knitting and crochet without you!
So please, accept our thanks, and take advantage of these membership specials — right now and through July 31!
20% DISCOUNT ON ALL MEMBERSHIPS!!
New members, current members, and former members will receive a 20% discount on all memberships purchased through July 31! Don’t miss all the exciting benefits of CKC Membership!
PLUS!! — ENTER TO WIN A FREE ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP!!
Follow CKC on Social Media; enter to win one of 5 free Annual Memberships donated by CKC President Jennifer Lindsay. One winner per week will be announced through July 31.
LUS!! — GET A FREE PATTERN!!
Current Members and Donors can download CKC’s beautiful, exclusive American Beauty Rose Doily Pattern for FREE, now through July 31.
PLUS!! — GET YOUR FREE CKC 10th ANNIVERSARY AMPERSAND PROJECT BAG!!
Current Members and Donors can order your own adorable CKC 10th Anniversary Ampersand Logo Project Bag/Backpack for FREE, now through July 31, 2023, while supplies last.
To access your free pattern and order your free project bag, sign in to CKC’s newly upgraded, easy-to-use Member Portal, navigate to the online Store, and click the items you want to download or order.
You must be a current CKC Member or Donor to participate.
CKC Music | Makers Competition
It’s Time to Vote!
We need you to VOTE for your favorite song in CKC Music | Makers Knit Purl Jam & Acoustic Crochet competition! Here’s how . . .
- Visit CKC’s Listening Room and share it with your friends and family members.
- Listen to our Top Five entries
- Cast your VOTE at the bottom of the page.
- Stay tuned for some exciting Music | Makers events!!
Detail, Register to Vote Quilt with Doily “O”. Made by Suzann Thomson, 2019. CKC Crowdsourced Collection, 2019.003.
Participants in RTA’s knitting program donated this afghan panel to My Sister’s Place, a nonprofit that provides resources to people affected by domestic violence. The knitted squares are from Barbara Walker’s Learn-To-Knit Afghan book, Chas. Scribner’s Sons, New York, 1974. ISBN 9780684136813. Photo Credit: RTA @rta_arts.org. Used with permission of Charles Moore, RTA.
Yarn Donations Needed for Rehabilitation Through the Arts — Can You Help?
The nonprofit organization, Rehabilitation Through the Arts (RTA), “helps people in prison develop life skills, modeling an approach based on dignity over punishment.”
Knitter Lori Steinberg teaches knitting classes to residents in one of the New York State correctional facilities where RTA operates, and her students need yarn!
When we asked if CKC Members and Donors could help, Lori wrote, “Rehabilitation Through the Arts will be so happy to accept yarn donations for the knitting classes.” All fibers are welcome, she added, but told us not to send black, blue, gray, and/or orange yarns. Those colors are taboo.
Lori wrote “The knitters will be so grateful. It isn’t easy to get yarn in prison.” Visit the RTA website (www.rta-arts.org) to learn more about their programs.
Send yarn to:
Lori Steinberg c/o Charles Moore
Rehabilitation Through the Arts (RTA)
735 Anderson Hill Road
Purchase, NY 10577
Office telephone: (914) 251-7540
Follow RTA on Instagram @rta_arts.
Coming Soon! CKC’s 10th Anniversary Teddy Bear
Crocheted and Knitted Teddy Bears made by our pattern testers, Karen, Suzann, and Elaine, respectively.
To celebrate CKC’s 10th Anniversary, we will be releasing patterns developed by our Treasurer Marilyn Huset (in both crochet and knit) so you can create your own cuddly versions of her original childhood teddy bears. Read Marilyn’s sweet story of the two bears she added to CKC’s Crowdsourced Collection here.
We will hold a drawing on July 1 for all who complete the pattern test by June 30, 2023. Two pattern testers (1 knitter and 1 crocheter) will win a skein of beautiful hand-dyed yarn!
We look forward to sharing this exclusive pattern with CKC Members and Donors this summer so you can plan to knit or crochet your own 10th Anniversary Teddy Bear and share some summer adventures together!
Join CKC’s 10th Anniversary Shawl-Along
A beautiful start to a crocheted 10th Anniversary shawl made from misc. stash yarns. Photo and project by Suzann Thompson, 2023.
Please plan to include a 10th Anniversary shawl on your list of summer projects! Join us on Ravelry, Facebook, and Instagram from May 1 through December 14, 2023 to knit or crochet a shawl together to celebrate CKC’s 10th Anniversary.
— Choose any pattern
Visit CKC’s pattern bundle on Ravelry for ideas.
— Use CKC colors
Get inspired by the beautiful palettes below . . .
— Knit or crochet
— Make to keep, give, or donate
— Share something about CKC with anyone who asks you about your project!
Join us on social media and at future Virtual Craft Circle meet-ups on September 14, October 12, and December 14 to have fun and share your 10th Anniversary shawls. Help us encourage more people to follow CKC, use and add to CKC’s digital collections, and to support and expand CKC’s preservation efforts.
Send a photo of your shawl-in-progress to firstname.lastname@example.org, and we’ll publish your photo here next month.
We will share a list of organizations that accept shawl donations. We will also encourage you to wear your 10th Anniversary shawl at future CKC events, and to add it to CKC’s Crowdsourced Collection.
Stay tuned for a surprise summer Virtual Craft Circle Meet-up, TBA!
CKC Palettes: Some Tints, Shades, and Tones of Teal and Butter.
CKC’s logo colors are Teal, Butter, Black, Gray, and White. Use any solid color or combination of colors from these palettes created by Rebecca Keyel, CKC’s Vice President, or variations on these colors based on what you have on hand or like to wear.
- As a CKC Member, you are vital to CKC’s success. If you are interested in volunteering, contact us at email@example.com, for more information and to learn about opportunities.
- To those who already volunteer — Thank You!
- Is your membership current? Login to check or renew
Don’t Be Shy! Share Your News!!!
- Have you designed a new pattern, written an article, been invited to give a presentation, published a book, started a new craft group or craft initiative, been promoted in your guild? Do you want to engage other CKC Members in what you are doing or in an event in your area? If you are interested in being featured, or have some news or events to share with CKC Members, click this link to fill out the form!
Knitting & Crochet in the News:
By Anne Lies
- A knitwear designer spins a yarn to create a colourful new home. Hanging out at home Stephen West!
- Knitting for your ears: The Rise of Knitting Podcasts.
- Fifth-generation North Jersey yarn company turns 145 years old. Yes, yarn is still a thing. Sorry, was that ever a question?
- Have a seat at the “magic table”: Oldest yarn shop in U.S. creates welcoming community.
…And next gen
- Knitting’s ‘cool and funky little sister’: national crochet conference attracts the young.
- Not only for needles and hooks: Fiber Is the New Painting: A Younger Generation of Artists Is Weaving and Sewing Personal Histories.
- High-profile fibers: Meet the Covington artist who brought yarn bombing to BLINK Cincinnati.
- …or keeping it on the down-low: ’Knotty Harts’ yarn bombs spread anonymous color, positivity throughout Gulf Coast.
…And yarn bots
- Knitted ‘sweater’ acts like skin for robots. A whole new world of knitted textiles.
- A very different knitting machine. Tiny handmade knitting machine by Maartje Boer.
- You have a call: Domestic Objects Wrapped in Needlepoint Scenes by Ulla Stina Wikander.
- Narrated in Crochet: The Fibre Sculptures of Liactuallee. Imagined universes and speculative landscapes.
- DIY! Add some crochet sculpture to your jewelry box.
And from CKC Member, and former Board Member, Kay Simmons —
- Princess Diana’s Iconic Red Sweater with One Black Sheep To Be Auctioned.
- Bids open August 31, 2023, and close on September 14, 2023.
Thanks for the advance notice, Kay!!!
Your Voice Matters!
We invite YOU to contribute to CKC’s monthly newsletter. Please email your ideas, stories, and announcements to firstname.lastname@example.org. We hope to hear from you!
Please visit CKC’s Newsletter Archive to see past issues!
June Newsletter Contributors:
Katie Daugherty, Anne Lies, Jennifer Lindsay, Kay Simmons, and Suzann Thompson